Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

The War Years

During the Second World War, from 1939 to 1945, the Government took over the railway yard, and laid down 2 or 3 extra lines for ammunition to be delivered. It was considered that the countryside here was reasonably safe from the attention of the enemy bombers. The ammunition was then distributed around the area by about 40 Pickford's Carriers, each with a driver and 7 or 8 soldiers. It is still possible to locate several of the storage sites used. The ammunition was stored in huts, and the hardcore foundations can be seen in several of the roads in the area.

Part of the U.S. Army's 82nd. Airborne Division, No 505 Parachute Infantry Regiment was based at Quorn before the 'D' Day Normandy Landings, and much of their equipment was stored in the railway yard. As is well known, the U.S. troops themselves made good use of our local facilities, particularly the pubs and the dances.

Go to the next page >

This is page 8 of Quorn & Woodhouse Station - the history of.
View the complete story contents.

The railways found an increasing role for women due to the enormous pressure on Britain's workforce created by the demands of both World Wars

The railways found an increasing role for women due to the enormous pressure on Britain's workforce created by the demands of both World Wars
Find out more about this image >

Taken around 1914, this excellent photograph shows eleven Metropolitan guards posing with two male staff beside a carriage.

Taken around 1914, this excellent photograph shows eleven Metropolitan guards posing with two male staff beside a carriage.
Find out more about this image >

  Intro     1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9