Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

The four-coupled locomotives.

Working alongside the six-coupled locomotives were the smaller four-wheeled saddletank types, again originating mainly from Manning Wardle and Hunslet's workshops. Although not as powerful as the larger locomotives, these small engines carried out a variety of tasks; being particularly well suited to work where the track was very light, or where the curvature was too great for the six wheeled locomotives.

The designs of the four-coupled locomotives were very similar, regardless of which manufacturer had produced them. Each one weighted an average of 12 tons with a wheelbase of around 5 feet. The firebox grate area was typically in the region of 6 square feet, matched with a total heating surface of around 300 square feet. This, combined with a driving wheel diameter of just under 3 feet, produced a compact but powerful locomotive.

Like their larger cousins, the 0-4-0's had the same fixtures and fittings including the wheel washing apparatus, dumb buffers, and the same methods of lubrication. Water was stored in a saddletank and fed to the boiler via a pump, located beneath the boiler barrel and driven by an eccentric cam on the rear axle. This pump tended only to be used when the locomotives were in motion - a steam powered injector, forcing water into the boiler through the pressure of steam, was used at all other times.

Go to the next page >

This is page 7 of Great Central Railway Contractors Locomotives.
View the complete story contents.

One of the numerous four-coupled saddletank locomotives used by the contractors was SUTTON, a Manning Wardle 'C' class (No. 1016) of 1887. The engine is seen at Catesby in the employment of T. Oliver & Son, having previously worked on the Manchester Ship Canal construction.

One of the numerous four-coupled saddletank locomotives used by the contractors was SUTTON, a Manning Wardle 'C' class (No. 1016) of 1887. The engine is seen at Catesby in the employment of T. Oliver & Son, having previously worked on the Manchester Ship Canal construction.
Find out more about this image >

One of the Hunslet Engine Company's 0-4-0 saddletanks - PROGRESS, built in 1872 and given the works number 73. PROGRESS was photographed near the Regents Canal, Marylebone in March 1897.

One of the Hunslet Engine Company's 0-4-0 saddletanks - PROGRESS, built in 1872 and given the works number 73. PROGRESS was photographed near the Regents Canal, Marylebone in March 1897.
Find out more about this image >

The similarities between all of the 0-4-0 locomotives is evident in this photograph of BIRKENHEAD; taken at Haddenham on the Great Western & Great Central Joint Railway circa 1903. She was built by Hudswell Clarke & Co. (No. 650) that year and went new to Louis P. Nott who built this section of the railway.

The similarities between all of the 0-4-0 locomotives is evident in this photograph of BIRKENHEAD; taken at Haddenham on the Great Western & Great Central Joint Railway circa 1903. She was built by Hudswell Clarke & Co. (No. 650) that year and went new to Louis P. Nott who built this section of the railway.
Find out more about this image >

  Intro     1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9     10     11